Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lobster Etiquette

Last month I traveled to Maine with my mom for a mother daughter trip.  This destination is one that we’ve always wanted to visit. Our top things to accomplish on this trip were; eat fresh lobster, drive the coast, see whales in the wild, and tour the beautiful scenery. As we drove the cost we made several stops along the way taking in the unique towns. We began our journey in Portland, continuing on to Freeport, Georgetown, Boothbay Harbor, Rockland, and Camden. If you’ve never been to Maine let me tell you it is beautiful. Its atmosphere is much like northern Michigan with its fresh air and greenery.

As they say, “When in Rome do as Romans do”. Well I thought that having lobster at a lobster shack on the wharf would be a great way to experience Maine's culture. It was at Harraseeket Lobster Shack in South Freeport that we were caught off guard and out of our element.
 
As we approached the outdoor ordering window we agreed to each have 2 large lobsters with a side of corn. As we placed our order the women asked, “Cooked or alive?” “COOKED” we said in unison. As we waited to pay the women took two large lobsters from their holding tank and placed them on the scale in front of us, (STILL ALIVE) and preceded to tell us the cost as she threw them into the boiling water!

As we waited for our lobster we both reveled how seeing your lobster alive before you’re about to eat it lowered your hunger level substantially. Soon our order was up. As we proceeded to crack open our meal, the reality came fast. These lobsters had not been cleaned! Their insides and bowels were still inside spewing onto our plates! Talk about losing your appetite! My mother and I stared at each other in shock as the common sense started to set in...”What were we thinking”! Of course if you boil something live there would be no chance to clean it first! Quickly my mom got up to ask if this is how they normally come. The women informed her that to order a lobster that has already been cleaned, and cooked is called, “The Lazy Man’s Lobster”.  The lazy man lobster could be ordered at any local restaurant. “Good to know”, my mom said and returned to throw our $65 meal in the trash. From that point on in our adventure through Maine we ordered the lazy man lobster and although we visited a few more lobster shacks, we only stopped to take pictures.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew that about lobsters in Maine...I don't think I could eat that either!...Good to Know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! I've never known that about Lobsters either. And to just think about it....I wanted to try cooking a fresh live lobster one day for a seafood dinner for the family. NOT NOW!!!! Hmm guess i'll just take them to red lobster and get the lazy mans lobster :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! Do you think that is a part of the Mainers culture? You said you like to learn about other people cultures. So why didn't you ask her if they are to be cleaned, how to clean them, and how lobster is eaten? Which probably isn't too hard to figure out. I'm sure the lobster's bowels were not supposed to end up on your plate. I would have demanded answers so I could understand the process of cooking live lobsters in the future. What a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my mom asked if this was how they normally come they said yes! She said the lazy man's lobster is the one that is pre-cleaned and is served with just the tail and claws. From the conversation my mom had this is protocal. I still don't understand, you would think there would be a cleaning station or something...I agree I should have presed more but at that point I just wasn't hungry and ready to leave!

    ReplyDelete