Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Memories

Pictures are a must when traveling. They can retell a great adventure over and over again. Besides photos what are other ways you can remember a trip? Some people collect shot glasses, t-shirts, key chains, magnets and so on. The list of souvenirs is endless. The problem with these souvenirs is that they're not useful! How many key chains can you really have? Also, where do you keep all of these trinkets?

Through my travels I've decided to be intentional on my purchases. The trip alone costs enough to where souvenirs seem to be a waste of money with no real connection or memory of the trip itself. So if I make a purchase I try to buy something that is authentic and hand made from that particular area. It's usually something that I can display in my home or a piece of jewelry. For example when I was traveling through Bulgaria we stopped in one the country’s oldest towns, Koprivshtitsa and it was there that I purchased my one and only souvenir, a handmade ceramic bowl. This bowl now resides on a table in the foyer of my home. It is a lovely piece of artwork and brings back wonderful memories of great old town I once had the opportunity to wonder.

Another idea, which may seem typical but is very affordable, is a postcard. The catch is, don't send the postcard to a relative or friend, but send it to yourself! Send it towards the end of your trip when you can highlight on all the wonderful things you've just experienced. This not only allows you to reminisce by going back and viewing all your different travels but can act as a collection as well for each postcard that you send will contain a stamp of that country! As you start to collect these put them in a small scrap book and in time you will find it to be a diary of sorts and a story of a lifetime that will be a keepsake forever!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    Cn really since your true LOVE for travel, and being able to capture memories that will last through photography. I love the Where's Ashley background photo of yourself on the beautiful rock! Where is Ashley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    I totally agree that souvenirs can be a waste of money. I try to buy authentic handmade items as well. I went to the Dominican Republic this past April and brought back a canvas painting and wood carved elephant. I feel like I have a little piece of the Dominican in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about souvenirs. If I'm going to pick something up, it has to be useful or with purpose. Some of my favorite souvenirs are from Disney, but you would never be able to tell! I've procured beautiful alabaster wine stoppers! Once upon a time I was able to buy tiffany-inspired frame that houses a picture of my husband from when we first started dating. I agree that you have to be mindful and not end up with a bunch of dust collectors. A neat trick that my Disney college program roommates and I would use is to take a picture with the item that we love but don't really need! I one picture in particular where I'm holding up a plush Mickey toy and and grinning ear to ear. I loved that toy, but really, what would I do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty OR Beast: This photo was taken in Maine on a trip with my mom.

    DsnyScrapGrl: I really like your idea to take a picture with something that you really like but don't really need or have a place for. I may have to start doing this!

    ReplyDelete